Monday, February 20, 2012

on being trapped

as I was planning for this week's sermon something came to mind and i just wanted to write it down-- i figured this might be as good a place as any.

We were talking about knowing in our lives that Jesus is enough to save us. Paul urges the colossian believers to not let anyone judge them- or push them to follow some kind of code of behaviors and living as a way of trying to get the favor of God. they already have the favor of God because of Jesus!!!

So as i was thinking about the sermon- a thought came to mind and i believe it was the Holy Spirit who planted it there:

We can know when we have lost connection with the fact that Jesus is enough for our salvation when God's gifts become obligations to us.

For example: God gave us a gift in giving us the Bible. He gave us a wonderful book to help us know him- a book that continues to speak to our souls no matter how much we read it. A great and wonderful gift and yet when we forget that Jesus is enough- when we forget that he and he alone makes us acceptable to God; the gift of reading the Bible becomes an obligation. We no longer see it as a wonderful blessing but something we must do in order to make God pleased with us! Prayer is another example. what an amazing gift to be able to talk with the God of the universe, my savior Jesus- and to have a relationship that changes me and yet when i forget Jesus is enough- the voice changes from "I GET to spend time with God" to "I HAVE to spend time with God". It becomes less a blessed opportunity and more something I have to do to avoid the wrath of a God who keeps a long laundry list of all i do wrong..

We get trapped by our religion. We get trapped. I know I have been. I still continue to be. i miss the gifts in life and make them things I must do to earn worth and acceptance of God and even my own self acceptance... messes with my head... Some kind of profound thought though...


1 comment:

  1. loved your thoughts here. would have loved to hear it in a sermon too!

    ReplyDelete